[gclist] Re: PPC & GC, or GC and threads

John R Levine johnl@iecc.com
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:23:15 -0500 (EST)

>  > Here's a hand-waving sketch of how you might do it:
> My impression is that this approach requires every components
> (threads/code generator/GC) be tightly integrated.

Indeed.

> You will be interested in Dr. Boehm's 1996 PLDI paper, "Simple Garbage
> Collector Safety."  There, the basic approach is, for every indexing
> accesses like p[i], the compiler generates a code that keeps the base
> pointer (i.e., 'p') reachable until the indexed address (i.e., 'p + i'
> in this case) is computed.  There are interesting tricks that do this
> by C-to-C transformation (I don't remember the details).

That's certainly doable, but moves work from GC time back to general
runtime, so I fear it'd be slower overall.

Regards,
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47