[gclist] GC for multi-threaded and multi-processor systems? Yes!

Taura Kenjiro tau@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:22:26 +0900 (JST)

Dear gclisters:

We are happy to announce our parallel extension to Boehm's
conservative GC library for C/C++.

Check out our home page. http://www.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/gc/

Several people have thrown a question to this list: "is there a
software that plays the same role as the conservative GC on
multiprocessors?". We exactly worked on this and now would like to
distribute it for public use. If you remember my previous announcement
several months ago that says it will be released in a moment, I
apologize for the delay.

This version is based on version 4.10 of the original conservative GC.
We like to express our gratitude and respect to Boehm and Demers for
their effort to make the original collector available with sources.

Currently it supports

	* SPARC Solaris,
	* Pentium Solaris, and
	* Mips IRIX

Application programs can use either threads or multiple processes.

There are some missing features (most notably, we do not support
incremental collection for now) and changes in interfaces. Check
README.parallel in the source.

Please send your comments, suggestions, requests for function
enhancements, and requests for port to other platforms to:

	gcguys@yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp

					Toshio Endo and Kenjiro Taura
					University of Tokyo
					{endo,tau}@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp