[gclist] Jones & Lins's book

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:58:51 -0400 (EDT)

I just got the Jones & Lins book ("Garbage Collection") a week or two
ago.  I was disappointed to discover I'd gotten the November 1997
printing, since reportedly the new printing has some errors corrected,
including several that I found.  [I note that some of these errors
would probably have been obvious if the algorithms in the book had been
written in a real programming language and tested before the book was
published.]

I was reading it today on my way to work.  After I got off the bus, I
went to McDonald's and got some food.  It was raining when I left, so I
asked for a paper bag to keep the rain off the book, as I had to walk
some distance from the McDonald's to work.  As it is rather a large
book, I had to get rather a large bag.

As I walked out the door carrying the book in the bag, it occurred to
me that the book was composed of pages, so I was carrying a Big Bag of
Pages.

Finding the book was not easy; of course, my local bookstore didn't
carry it, so I had to special-order it.  In the process, I discovered
that Books in Print lists it under the wrong title (at least, a title
that's not the same as the one printed in 100-point letters on the
front cover) and has it categorized as being about "Refuse and Refuse
Disposal".

I'm really enjoying the book, by the way.

This is exactly how the World Wide Web works: the HTML files are the pithy
description on the paper tape, and your Web browser is Ronald Reagan.
  -- Neal Stephenson, at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning_print.html