[gclist] gc4.14

Hans Boehm boehm@hoh.engr.sgi.com
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:19:08 -0700

I just put version 4.14 of our collector in

http://reality.sgi.com/boehm/gc_source

The description in

http://reality.sgi.com/boehm/gc.html

has also been repeatedly updated.

There have been a lot of changes since 4.12, which was the last generally
announced version.  None of these should affect the interface.  For details,
see the file "recent_changes" in the above directory.

Highlights:

1) Additional platforms, adjustments to deal with changes in previously
supported platforms (notably glibc2 on Linux).
2) IA32 Linux threads support (thanks largely to Fergus Henderson).
3) Win32 thread support has hopefully gotten more reliable.  The most obvious
cause of instability has been removed.  (I'd like to hear about the stability
of the result.)
4) Renamed config.h to gcconfig.h.
5) -DPRINT_BLACK_LIST allows much easier identification of the source of false
pointers.
6) Somewhat smaller pause times for incremental GC.
7) Hacked the large black allocator to reduce heap size (usually at the cost of
GC time).  This is a temporary measure, which was essential in a few cases.
 4.15 will almost certainly have a redesigned (approximate best fit) large
block allocator.
8) Bug fixes.

--
Hans-J. Boehm