[gclist] On the Notion of Implementation

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:44:54 +0200

Dear GC people,
   I've recently written a draft paper on the notion of implementation,
as illustrated with concurrent garbage collection.

The paper develops a very general notion of implementation,
and studies properties associated to implementations,
particularly a property of "soundness".
It takes concurrent GC as a general illustration,
so I thought it might be useful to those of you interested in formal proofs
(or informal ones! -- the ones you do to convince yourself) of
the correctness of a garbage collected programming language implementation.

I've submitted an earlier version to POPL'00,
I don't expect it to be accepted, because of its shortcomings
(section 5 is particularly weak).
I offer it to you for review and criticism.

The paper is named implement1 under
	http://www.tunes.org/~fare/tmp/

Sorry if this announce is inappropriate.

[ "Faré" | VN: Уng-Vû Bân | Join the TUNES project!   http://www.tunes.org/  ]
[ FR: François-René Rideau | TUNES is a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient System ]
[ Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for  a Free Reflective  Computing System ]
Science is a process based on an attitude of logic, imagination and doubt.