[gclist] Garbage Collector in Java

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:16:25 -0500 (EST)

Someone writes:
> I would like to know if there exist garbage collection algorithms written
> in Java, and specially if it makes sense to write a parallel garbage
> collection algorithm where new threads might be created dynamically.

You could probably translate most of the algorithms in Jones & Lins
into Java without much difficulty, if you are a competent Java
programmer, anyway.  You may have a hard time gcing Java Objects; you
will have a hard time finding the pointers in them, and your collector
may have a hard time getting itself run when it's needed.

Can you be more specific about the parallel gc algorithm?  Do you have
a particular design in mind, are you building infrastructure for gcs
and need to know if this is a common design feature you need to
support, or something else?

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!