[gclist] The Memory Management Reference release 2.0

Pekka P. Pirinen pekka@harlequin.co.uk
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:58:32 GMT

Harlequin's Adaptive Memory Management Group has updated The Memory
Management Reference, a set of web pages containing a glossary, a
bibliography, an FAQ, and other resources.  This is a major release,
as we're moving to HTML 4.0 and style sheets; however, we aimed to
maintain the award-winning generic design, so most of you will not
notice the difference too much.  There are also numerous improvements
to the contents, including:
 - a new survey article on memory management in various languages,
 - updated calendar,
 - a wider treatment of reference counting in all parts,
 - Java's three kinds of weakness rigorously defined,
 - new entries in the glossary:
     deferred reference counting,
     weighted reference counting,
     Java terms: soft/weak/phantom reference/reachable,
     collection cycle,
     off-white,
     overcommit,
     palimpsest,
     and many others.

The pages are available at <URL:http://www.harlequin.com/mm/reference/>.

As always, we hope you will find The Reference useful and informative,
and will be glad to hear your comments.  Please send them to
mm-web@harlequin.com.
--
Pekka P. Pirinen, editor
Harlequin Limited, Cambridge, UK