[gclist] Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 05:19:44 -0400

Giuseppe Attardi attardi@di.unipi.it
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:30:23 +0200

> From: Tim Sweeney <tim@epicgames.com>
>
> 4. References between objects in my game (and in 3D environments in
general)
> tend to be clusered: they form groups, where objects within a group
contain
> tons of references to other objects in the group, but objects in a group
> contain a fairly small number of references to *other* groups.  So I've
been
> trying to devise a GC algorithm that takes this into account.  Any
> suggestions?

You may want to take a look at CMM (www.di.unipi.it/~attardi/cmm.html), a GC
framework for C++, which allows you to manage several heaps, each one with a
different policy.
We used CMM in a computer algebra system: objects whose lifetime is limited
to within a step
of the algorithm are kept in a temporary heap which is freed at the end of
the step.

-- Beppe