[gclist] trigger minor or major (generational) gc?

Nick Barnes Nick.Barnes@pobox.com
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:09:24 +0100

At 1999-06-29 18:31:17+0000, "Pekka P. Pirinen" writes:
> > The middle GC also condemns some (the older half) the the young
> > regions, forwarding objects in them into the old generation.
>
> Two buckets in the middle generation, that's nice.  Try condemning the
> nursery (birth region) at the same time: it'll be mostly dead, and
> otherwise you'll probably end up scanning all those dead objects.

I recommend always condemning the nursery whenever you condemn
anything, for exactly this reason.  It depernds on your infant
mortality rate, but if that is anything like the rates I have seen
with straightforward implementations of declarative languages, always
condemn the nursery.

I once did some measurements of this policy, but the exact results are
proprietary.

Nick B