[gclist] Two conservative collectors

STARYNKEVITCH Basile Basile.Starynkevitch@cea.fr
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:37:49 +0100 (MET)

    Larry> Since both the Boehm and Geodesic collectors are
    Larry> conservative, there is the possibility, however remote,
    Larry> that "false pointers" will cause garbage to be
    Larry> retained.

    Larry> How can a programmer detect whether this is happening in
    Larry> his program and how easy is it to correct?  Also, if a
    Larry> programmer can precisely identify the "internal" pointers,
    Larry> [...] once at the beginning of the program

To complete postings by H.Boehms and C.Fiterman: The CMM collector (by
Giuseppe Attardi, Tito Flagella, Pietro Iglio, in Italy) is
conservative w.r.t the C++ call stack, but precise w.r.t C++ objects.
In other words CMM scan C++ objects precisesly, knowing where their
pointer fields are (thru a virtual method iterating on them)

CMM is (probably) unmaintained. It is available at
"ftp://ftp.di.unipi.it/pub/project/posso/cmm/"

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are only mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique
DTA/LETI/DEIN/SLA * CEA/Saclay b.528 (p111f) * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
phone: 1,69.08.60.55; fax: 1.69.08.83.95 home: 1,46.65.45.53
email: Basile point Starynkevitch at cea point fr