[gclist] gc concerns

Mike Roberts miker@artifact-entertainment.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:17:14 -0700

hello all. i am lead developer of a server application for a multiplayer
game company. i'm looking into using c/c++ based garbage collection for our
server design. i have some questions that i was hoping someone could answer.

* if i'm not mistaken, conservative and copying collectors suspend all other
threads while collecting. we're probably going to use a 4 or 8 processor
server box, so would this a real performance concern? if so, are there any
reliable incremental or concurrent collectors available for windows c++
environments?
* i've noticed that collection isn't a partial commitment. since we are
using third party toolkits that haven't been written for use with garbage
collection, would this present a compatibility problem?

--
Mike Roberts (zoarre)
Developer

"C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog."
-unknown