[gclist] gc concerns

Pekka P. Pirinen pekka@harlequin.co.uk
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:51:25 GMT

> we would also like to use the ACE toolkit
> <http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html>. part of the toolkit's offerings
> include things such as memory pools. i've never worked with memory pools or
> related techniques before, so am i correct in assuming this won't be a
> problem as long as we use lib archives instead of dlls?

Yes, that should be OK.  Pools are just a way of grouping objects with
similar memory-management properties together.  Our MPS toolkit also
uses pools in a similar way.  The concerns Nigel Bree explained will
apply.

Of course, there could be particular tricks that they get up to that
could be problematic.  ACE_MMAP_Memory_Pool, for example, uses SIGSEGV
in a way that might disagree with some memory managers (although not
on Windows).
--
Pekka P. Pirinen
Adaptive Memory Management Group, Harlequin Limited