[gclist] Re: gclist-digest V3 #84

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:02:40 -0400 (EDT)

Joshua Burton wrote, rationally:
> David Chase wrote:
> > >The unglamorous way of saying this is: "You have just re-invented the
> > >process."
> >
> > Yes and no.  OS Interprocess communication is typically quite expensive.
>
> Depends on the OS, of course.  Threads are useful iff:
>
> (1) Coroutines are too small (you can't trust me to yield to you), BUT

Threads are useful for SMP scaling and for coping with system-call
interfaces that hang their callers for arbitrary amounts of time ---
two things coroutines can't do.  Processes can, of course.

Threads are also more flexible in when they can yield; you can be three
levels down a call chain and yield to another thread.  Doing this in
coroutines requires that you allocate a separate stack for each
coroutine, and poof, you've just written a userspace thread package.
See e.g. http://pobox.com/~kragen/minos, a tiny preemptive thread
package my twin cousin Ben implemented with SIGALRM, setjmp, and
longjmp.

The following is included so as not to distort the meaning of the post
to which I am replying:
> (2) Processes are too big (you trust me to dance all over your memory).

Oh, and if you have non-MMU methods of preventing this --- for example,
in Java, don't hand the bad guy a pointer, or in a pure functional or
logic language, trust the interpreter --- you don't need processes, at
all, ever, except to paper over broken system call interfaces (e.g. you
can only have N file descriptors open per process, or only run under
one or two or three UIDs per process, or only have one controlling tty
per process, etc.)

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)