threads (was Re: [gclist] Re: gclist-digest V3 #84)

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:36:01 -0700

It seems to me that we're mixing together a whole bunch of issues here.
I'll assert that:

1) Implicit fine-grain locking in library code is a mistake, whether you use
processes or threads.  Nobody does this for processes.  It doesn't make much
sense for threads, except possibly when it's needed to ensure safety of the
code.  The level at which locking is needed is application dependent, and
usually larger than a single library operation.  Java got this somewhat
wrong the first time around, but more recent parts of the library try to
correct it.  (I think we agree here.)

2) Whether or not you use poll/select is largely orthogonal to the threads
issue.  Applications can be multithreaded (e.g. because they need to run on
MPs) and still use poll/select (e.g. because it's more efficient in a
particular environment).  I believe Java doesn't support poll/select at all,
but that's a Java-specific issue.

3) I've run into a fair amount of multithreaded code that accesses shared
state.  I'm working on a garbage collector that works this way.  My
impression is that most high performance numerical code is written this way,
unless it needs to run on message-passing machines.  Some other code is
written this way mostly for structuring reasons.  I think this applies to
Netscape and Mozilla, for example.

4) It's usually a mistake to use processes when you need to share lots of
state, though databases may well be an exception to that rule.  Aside from
performance issues, using processes means that there's no guarantee that
that pointers point to the same thing in all participating processes.  This
is not an intuitive model.  I've heard complaints from many people who've
tried to put C++ objects with virtual functions into shared heaps using this
scheme, and are then surprised when it breaks.  It can't work  (unless you
basically reimplement threads).  There's no guarantee that my vtable is at
the same address as your vtable if you're in a different process.

5) Until fairly recently, you couldn't use threads in portable code, and
expect them to take advantage of multiprocessors correctly.  You could do so
by building on processes.  I think this has finally changed, but it probably
explains a lot of the processes-with-shared-memory implementations.

Hans
Standard disclaimer ...