[gclist] ref-counting performance cost

Manoj Plakal plakal@cs.wisc.edu
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:14:02 -0500

Well you could certainly test the waters by submitting the idea
to a workshop. Some conferences may accept short papers with
ideas and some preliminary estimates without a full implementation.

RC is nice because of its inherent incremental nature and potential
for good locality, and anything to make this kind of a non-intrusive
algorithm work better would make a competitive memory manager, IMHO.

As opposed to taking an inherently "intrusive" algorithm that requires
a global reachability analysis as used in tracing collectors and then
breaking your back trying to make that perform well by making it
generational or concurrent or parallel or incremental. Not that
there's anything wrong with making tracing collectors work well.
It's just that people seem to have given up on RC pretty quickly.

Manoj