[gclist] ref-counting performance cost

Pierpaolo BERNARDI bernardp@cli.di.unipi.it
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:45:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> I wrote:
> 	> For what it's worth, Inferno (which is, or was, freely available)
>
> Greg Hudson wrote:
> 	I don't think Inferno has ever been freely available.  At the moment
> 	it appears you can get a source code license for $300, or $150 if
> 	you're in academia.
>
> I have a copy, dating from March 1997.
> It was certainly freely available then.

Currently, the binary release is free. Sources are subject to different
pricings. More info at http://www.vitanuova.com

BTW, the DIS (the VM on which Inferno is built), supports both RC and a
mark & sweep collector.

The VM provides pointer-manipulation instructions which are RC aware and
others which are not.

Programs could be compiled for this machine without using RCs.

P.