[gclist] Re: gclist-digest V3 #106

David Chase chase@naturalbridge.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:21:37 -0400

At 01:30 PM 9/20/00 +0100, Nick Barnes wrote:
>For such memory managers, a source of pages with "don't care" contents
>may be a worthwhile optimisation.

This assumes that you can get such pages.  Unless they are your
own old pages, "don't care" pages constitute a security hole.
I know, not *usually* a GC consideration, but there's little
point wishing for something nobody is willing to give you.

As for how the pages get zero-filled, on my box, I find that
the second processor often gets that job.  It's the easiest and
sleaziest way I know of to make use of a multiprocessor in a
garbage collector.

David Chase
chase@naturalbridge.com