[gclist] Root identity algorithms

Charles Fiterman cef@geodesic.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:20:14 -0500

Instead of keeping a mark bit you keep a pointer to what you marked from.
At the end you traverse the objects sort and report.

At 11:35 PM 4/14/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Can anyone point me to some papers describing algorithms that maintain root
>identity for each reachable object?
>
>I'm trying to determine if there's an O(N) algorithm for profiling the
>cumulative size of objects reachable from other objects, but without
>double-counting when they're reachable from multiple roots.
>
>I searched the gclist archive but didn't come up with anything.

Charles Fiterman		     Geodesic Systems
414 North Orleans Suite 410	     Phone 312 832 2015
Chicago IL 60610-4418              FAX   312 832 1230
				     http://www.geodesic.com

We're starting a new electric power company and you're the
VP of operations. Your office is inside a wheel attached to
the generator.