[gclist] GC6.0alpha7

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:41:44 -0700

I made available a new version of our garbage collector at

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/gc6.0alpha7.tar.gz

I spent a bit of time testing this on platforms to which I have access and
fixing the bugs that showed up in the process.  It is still labelled as an
alpha release, since it still contains a fair amount of low-mileage code.  I
would like to stabilize it further at this point.

Bug reports are greatly appreciated.  Patches are even better. (If you sent
me a bug fix earlier, but it's still broken in this version, please tell me
that, too.  I tested mostly on Linux/X86, Linux/IA64, HP/UX / PA_RISC, and
NT4.0)

Changes since alpha 6, many of them contributed by others:

Several important bug fixes.

An initial attempt at refactoring the code so that client code can supply
type information without including GC "internal" headers.  This probably
isn't quite sufficient, yet.  Some identifiers were renamed with "GC_" names
to make this feasible.

Initial ports to Linux/S390, Linux/SH4, Linux/PA-RISC.

Parallel GC support now on HP/UX in addition to Linux.

For details see

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/recent_changes

Hans