[gclist] zillion objects

Ji-Yong D. Chung virtualcyber@erols.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:10:14 -0400

Hi

    Thank you for your reply.

> j> [I wrote] This question is a general one. In brief: if you have a large
> j> number of objects, a small fraction of which die (very slowly), is
> j> there a method of automatic memory management (i.e., gc), which
> j> would not (1) try to copy most of those objects or (2) trace most
> j> of those pointers?
>
> [Bryan replies]  I believe what you're looking for is the "free lunch"
memory
> management scheme :-)

    Now that I re-read my email, it does sound like I was looking
for ways not to pay for my "lunch."

> In the general case, the cost of generational collection is relatively
> low if you have enough generations, although you pay in increased
> volumes of yet-to-be-collected garbage.

    I suppose if you make the collections of older generations to be
demand driven, this cost could be brought down even lower.  :
Let me describe the problem a bit more, in another email to gc-list and
to Andres Chen.