[gclist] zillion objects

Charles Fiterman cef@geodesic.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:25:59 -0500

Some odd observations here.

First while Nick Barnes likes copying collectors I prefer the non copying
varity as large applications in the real world pass objects back and forth
to application written in lots of languages like C. Moving objects makes
this very hard.

We have a lot of good luck with pseudo incremental collection.
Incrementality is so expensive that its worth while trying to avoid it. The
pseudo incremental collector starts normal collection and asks "Am I idle?"
If there is anything that needs the system it aborts the collection losing
all the work and returns control. Our experience is this is rare once and
never happens twice in a row.