[gclist] zillion objects

Ji-Yong D. Chung virtualcyber@erols.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:09:12 -0400

    Hi

    Thank you for your help.

    I had not considered reference counting as a realistic
alternative.  However, having read emails from you, reference
counted gc seems like something I should further investigate.

    Thank you, Hans Boehm and Richard O'Keefe for
initiating the trail of discussion on reference counting as a
potential solution to my problem.  David Bacon for your
explanation of why your garbage collection might be well
suited for large cache servers (and reference to your paper).
Larry Evans (strangely your email address points to
jcampbell@prodigy.net) for an implementation of Bacon's gc.
Nick Barnes and Hans Boehm for comments on lazy freeing.

    I hope to post at gclist on this same topic, probably a few
months from today -- hopefully I will have something to add.