[gclist] speaking of patents...

Emery Berger emery@cs.utexas.edu
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:47:58 -0600

> Are you sure the patents are the correct ones?  Quote:
>
> | The present invention relates generally to a method and apparatus
for
> | replacing the heap implementation in an existing executable computer
> | program at runtime.
>
> libhoard replaces the heap implementation at link time, so it's not
> infringing this patent.  Or am I missing something?

The current version of Hoard, libhoard-2.0.6, is a link-time or
load-time replacement. But the new version, libhoard-2.1.0pre2, includes
DLL patching for Windows. Whenever a new DLL is loaded, the new version
patches in calls to Hoard allocation functions, replacing the original
calls. Things are much easier in the UNIX world, where setting the
LD_PRELOAD environment variable does the job.

-- Emery