[gclist] Need a recommendation

Pavel Zlenko pasha@ringrows.ru
Thu, 3 May 2001 17:26:21 +0400 (MSD)

> ...that limitation is bogus. You can always find
> the start of an object from a pointer to anyplace in the object and you
can
> find it in a small number of cycles.

The problem is that the smart pointer even may not belong to a usual
object. Valuetypes are customizable, and user may rewrite the
implementation of storing a valuetype in some, maybe complicated, way,
and it is impossible to rely on the physical structure of such
implementation. One thing that can be required from user is the noted
enumeration of members.

> Getting a collector to work with CORBA is non trivial for other
> reasons. Pointers may get shipped to other systems and then return or
> they may be encrypted.

Sorry, I'd forgotten: GC is local. A pointer to valuetype cannot be
sent to another system - only valuetype itself.

Pavel

--
Pavel Zlenko <pasha@ringrows.ru>