[gclist] Is using "bidirectional object layout" faster or slower?

Michal Gajda mg169780@students.mimuw.edu.pl
Sat, 26 May 2001 01:47:38 +0200 (CEST)

I mean that we maintain pointer to the middle of the object, and expect
pointers to be on the one side(at greater or equal addresses) and other
values on the other.

1. My guess would be that simplicity of the garbage collector could be
outweighed by worse caching behaviour(for simple objects) as basic values
access can miss the cache line of the processor. Am I wrong?

2. Are there machines that have alignment constant<sizeof(pointer), so
that this layout would waste memory cause of it?

	Greetings :-)
		Michal Gajda
		korek@icm.edu.pl
		*knowledge-hungry student experimentalist*