[gclist] object aging rates in generational collectors

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 23:02:57 -0400 (EDT)

What you might want to do is adjust the sizes of the arenas, adaptively, to
try to balance the collector work between, or the space utilization, or
some overall cost measure that incorporaes time and space. With 2 spaces,
you want to achieve a balance where shifting the size in either direction
(by a small amount) will not change the cost. (Think calculus style
derivatives here.) Likewise, for n spaces you'd like the marginal cost
change for each space to be the same, I believe. (I may be oversimplifying
the math, but the mathematical intuition could lead to an adaptive
algorithm that tries to find and then track the minimal cost point by doing
such balancing of costs.)

-- EM
J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor     http://www.cs.umass.edu/~moss    www
Department of Computer Science            +1-413-545-4206                voice
140 Governor's Drive, Room 372            +1-413-545-1249                  fax
University of Massachusetts               moss@cs.umass.edu              email
Amherst, MA  01003-4610  USA              +1-413-545-3733 Priscilla Coe  sec'y