[gclist] Demand driven generational collector

Pekka P. Pirinen pekka.p.pirinen@globalgraphics.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:56:53 +0100

> for two-generation systems, the widely known Appel collector does
> essentially that,

Also, Lisp Machine GC worked like that - I suppose Open Genera still
does.  There's a top generation, called the dynamic generation, and a
configurable number of "ephemeral" generations below that.  Each
ephemeral generation has a capacity, and is collected if it exceeds
its capacity.  I understand it worked well, although it required some
tweaking to configure it for demanding applications.

Collection scheduling in the MPS is based on the same principle,
complicated by mostly-copying collection, and a mechanism for the
client to restrict promotion when they're allocating a pig in the
python.
--
Pekka P. Pirinen, Global Graphics Software
 Mail should be private, whether on paper or on disk.  Public