[gclist] Finalization and death notices

Charles Fiterman cef@geodesic.com
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 08:45:42 -0500

>What I don't understand is why "an identifer associated with the object
>not the object's address."  Of what use is the identifier if you can't
>the objexcts address from it?

Finalizers need to operate at end of job death notices do not. The reason
is that death notices are independent objects owned by the user. The
Collector simply moves them from one list to another. At end of job the
user may examine unsent death notices. But a finalizer is object
completion, an object may control some resource and the finalizer releases
it. If end of job fails to invoke the finalizer we have a serious bug.