[gclist] Version 6.1 of our garbage collector

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:24:58 -0700

... was just released in the usual place (http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source).

A detailed list of changes since 6.0 can be found in the "recent_changes" file in that directory.

This version contains an initial attempt to make the collector usable as a leak detector under Linux/X86 without recompiling/linking through use of the LD_PRELOAD feature.  See the bottom of leak.html in the distribution or on the web site for some details.  It seems to work on some toy programs.  Some bigger programs like gvim and gcc don't crash, but I haven't been able to check if the leak reports are correct.

Support for some specific platforms (notably Cygwin, various Alpha platforms), mostly due to contributions from others and the HP/Compaq merger.

Hans