[gclist] Cache performance tools

Manoj Plakal plakal@cs.wisc.edu
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:33:05 -0500

Lassi A. Tuura wrote (Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:06:11PM +0200) :
> These are the ones I know of:
>   Linux: cachegrind (in valgrind), oprofile (, vtune)
>   Tru64: atom tools; prof, uprofile, hiprof, pixie

	http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/dcpi/

	There's DCPI for Alpha/Tru64 that collects
	low-level performance info (for the entire
	system incuding the OS and shared libraries)
	and also provides tools for correlating all
	this info with application code. So you
	can quickly zoom into the function in an app which
	is causing a bunch of cache misses and
	see source/assembly listings annotated with
	info from the hardware counters. Cool stuff.

	Folks at Compaq used DCPI for tuning Altavista
	and Oracle and other large "real-world" apps.
	Intel's VTune does similar stuff but I think it only
	does it for a specific app, not the whole system.

	Unfortunately, the Alpha platform itself is
	kind of dead now ...

	Manoj