[gclist] Wiring up the Boehm GC to the Ruby interpreter

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:09:32 -0700

Some comments/questions from someone who knows the collector but not Ruby:

1) The top priority here is identifying the cause of the leak.  Once there is a leak, the collector will have to do a lot more work tracing things that should be garbage, pause times will increase, etc.  Try building the collector with KEEP_BACK_PTRS and DBG_HDRS_ALL (or with --enable-full-debug), build the application with GC_DEBUG defined before gc.h is included, and so that it calls the all-caps versions (e.g. GC_MALLOC) of the GC_ routines, run your application for long enough that the heap has grown substantially as a result of the leak (say by a factor of 4), and the call GC_generate_random_backtrace() several times.  This should tell you why some typical objects are being retained.  If you waited long enough, the probability is high that the "random" object is one that was leaked.

When I looked at some corresponding issue with Python a long time ago, a big part of the problem seemed to be a few optimizations in the runtime that "knew about" Python's original memory management.  Any code that keeps its own free lists should be looked upon with some suspicion, since those free lists will be treated as live by the collector.  If those free lists point to other known garbage, that will also be retained.

But it's also possible that the collector will need some type information in a few places, e.g. when you're allocating arrays containing image data.

2) Did you turn on incremental collection with GC_enable_incremental()?  Otherwise the GC_collect_a_little() calls will have no effect, other than possibly triggering a complete GC at that point.  On a Linux system (and on many others) turning on incremental collection will cause the heap to be write protected.  The collector will handle the resulting write faults, unless they occur inside a system call.  Thus you will need to be careful with, and preferably avoid, system calls that write directly to the garbage-collected heap.  (If the application is single-threaded, or nearly single-threaded, you can also wrap the system calls with some routines provided by the collector.  In some cases, it's also OK to have system calls write to objects allocated with GC_MALLOC_ATOMIC.  But this has turned out to be enough of an issue that I believe there are relatively few clients for the incremental collector.)

Hans