[gclist] why malloc/free instead of GC?

Arlie Davis arlie@sublinear.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:32:03 -0500

Microsoft's CLR (.Net Framework) does a good job on "large" objects.
Objects above a certain threshold (20k, I believe) are allocated in a
traditional malloc/free heap, but their lifetime is still tracked
through GC.  Also, since the CLR has access to all type information, it
only scans memory locations that are known to be pointers.

This is an elegant solution, because it shows that object lifetime
(explicit free vs. GC) can be separated from allocation mechanism
(contiguous heap w/compaction vs. fragmentable heap).

The same approach could easily be adopted by other GC implementations.

Also, consider the example (brought up here) of an application which
must process a high volume of transactions, with a high degree of
consistency of time required per transaction.  Just because you use a
GC, doesn't mean you *always* allocate fresh objects for every
transaction.  You can still -- selectively -- use object pooling.  Many
large applications that are based on explicit-free gain performance by
pooling instances of objects.

The same can be applied to environments that use GCs.  Actually, since a
single reference to a small connected graph of objects will retain that
entire graph, it's easy to pool entire graphs, by just holding a single
reference.

The only risk you run is that some piece of code retains a reference to
one of the objects you build.  Of course, you'll have to design your
application around this.  But doing so may be much easier and safer than
abandoning the use of managed/GC heaps.

-- arlie