[gclist] why malloc/free instead of GC?

Boehm, Hans hans_boehm@hp.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:52:50 -0800

It looks to me like much of this difference can still be explained by the fact that GC_malloc initializes the resulting objects, and hence takes the cache misses that a real client would otherwise take later.  To make the measurements more comparable, you should initialize the objects after you allocate them.  (I still wouldn't expect GC_malloc to win.  I've normally seen that only for cons-cell sized or slightly larger objects.)

Are there also differences in the amount of thread support that's included in the measurements?  E.g. the system malloc usually tests a global to determine at runtime whether it needs to lock.

Hans