[gclist] GC FAQ & uncooperative environments

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:58:46 +1000

Who is the maintainer of the GC FAQ at
<http://www.iecc.com/gclist/GC-faq.html>?

I notice that the "Uncooperative environments" section still contains
the misleading statements which I objected to in my ISMM'02 paper
"Accurate garbage collection in an uncooperative environment.".

Specifically, where it says "In cases where the C is machine-generated
... code to record active pointers can be generated. Even with this
assistance, relocation of objects is not generally possible, because
compiler-generated temporaries may also reference objects...",
the second sentence is at best highly misleading.