[gclist] Regions as a GC solution

Dobes Vandermeer Dobes Vandermeer <dobes-dated-1059329680.266574@dobesland.com>
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:15:09 -0700

Fergus Henderson wrote:

> On 06-Jun-2003, Dobes Vandermeer <dobes-gclist@dobesland.com> wrote:
> > The great thing about regions is that they can be inserted automatically
> > using a static analyses.  Are there any systems which are able to
> > collect objects in the immortal regions, or perhaps have some kind of
> > clever overlapping region system that avoids having immortal regions
> > altogether?
>
> Recent versions of the ML Kit <http://www.itu.dk/research/mlkit/>
> support reference-tracing garbage collection in combination with region
> memory management.

These solutions are okay, but as I mentioned they make regions into an
optimization for the tracing collector; because the regions free some
objects more quickly, the program can run with less memory and/or run
the GC less often.

Has any work been done to collect long-lived objects with regions alone?

Thanks,
Dobes