[gclist] Question from a newbie

Nick Barnes Nick.Barnes@pobox.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 09:28:54 +0100

At 2003-05-11 20:24:10+0000, Bakul Shah writes:
> Kind of ironic that people are still optimizing for
> performance and not debuggability even when we have
> progressed from 100Mhz to 2+Ghz processors in less than 10
> years and when systems are increasingly more complex and
> harder to debug.  Also kind of ironic that people explicitly
> turn off debugging when shipping code but I guess that is a
> different discussion and outside the charter of gclist.

Off-topic indeed, but I would note that the license for Microsoft
Visual C++ _prohibits_ the redistribution of programs compiled for
debugging (I discovered this only last week).

"Note that debug versions of an application are not redistributable [...]."

<http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvc60/html/redistribvc6.asp>

Nick Barnes