[gclist] Latest on Cycle Collection

Erez Petrank erez at cs.Technion.AC.IL
Sat Jun 18 08:39:26 PDT 2005

You should also check the state-of-the-art concurrent cycle collector by
Paz et al from CC'05:
 > Harel Paz, Erez Petrank, David F. Bacon, Elliot K. Kolodner, and V.T.
 > Rajan.  Complete On-the-Fly Cycle Collection.  14th International
  > Conference on Compiler Construction (CC'05), April 2005.

In addition to the algorithm itself, you can see there some comparisons
between concurrent collectors.  An interesting outcome of that research
was that cycle collection is much more effective if you leave the young
generation out and cycle-collect only the old generation.  This
conclusion also extends to reference counting in general.  A
generational collector that best matches reference counting
characteristics apperas in the same conference:
 >  Harel Paz, Erez Petrank, and Stephen M. Blackburn.  Age-Oriented
  >  Concurrent Garbage Collection.  14th International Conference on
   >  Compiler Construction (CC'05), April 2005.

-- Erez

Dr. Erez Petrank
Dept. of Computer Science
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Haifa 32000,  Israel

Email: erez at cs.technion.ac.il
homepage: http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~erez/
Phone:  +972-4-829-4942.   Fax:  +972-4-829-3900