[gclist] Sharing GC resources between applications

David Detlefs - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS david.detlefs at sun.com
Fri Mar 18 07:24:09 PST 2005

Robin --

> I have also noticed that Java and .NET based applications require a lot
> of system resources, among which memory for their garbage collected
> heaps. My concern is that all these simultaneously used garbage
> collected heaps constitute a very inefficient use of memory, especially
> if the applications involved process large objects such as documents
> (HTML, XML, PDF), spreadsheats, etc.

I would recommend you check out the work of the Barcelona project,
headed by my Sun Labs colleague Grzegorz Czajkowski:

  http://sunlabs.sfbay/projects/dashboard.php?id=9

The idea, in a nutshell, is to run a single VM image, essentially *as*
the operating system, introducing a new Java concept ("Isolates") to
serve the rule of OS processes.

I hope you find this interesting...