[gclist] Sharing GC resources between applications

Emery Berger emery at cs.umass.edu
Fri Mar 18 07:37:13 PST 2005

Hi Robin,

In several projects at UMass, we are also looking at the problem of how
garbage-collected applications can live together, though our approach is
different from the "Barcelona" approach that Dave describes primarily in
that we modify the operating system but do not modify the Java
applications themselves. For example, we've extended the virtual memory
manager so that multiple garbage-collected applications can dynamically
shrink or grow their heaps to avoid paging while maximizing performance.
We also have developed a garbage collection algorithm that cooperates
with the virtual memory manager to reduce paging, and we show that it
also works well in the case when you have multiple JVMs. All of these
papers are hanging off of my web page.

Regards,
-- emery

--
Emery Berger
Assistant Professor

On
> Behalf Of David Detlefs - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS
> Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 10:24 AM
> To: Robin Boerdijk
> Cc: gclist at lists.iecc.com
> Subject: [gclist] Sharing GC resources between applications
>
> Robin --
>
> > I have also noticed that Java and .NET based applications require a
lot
> > of system resources, among which memory for their garbage collected
> > heaps. My concern is that all these simultaneously used garbage
> > collected heaps constitute a very inefficient use of memory,
especially
> > if the applications involved process large objects such as documents
> > (HTML, XML, PDF), spreadsheats, etc.
>
> I would recommend you check out the work of the Barcelona project,
> headed by my Sun Labs colleague Grzegorz Czajkowski:
>
>   http://sunlabs.sfbay/projects/dashboard.php?id=9
>
> The idea, in a nutshell, is to run a single VM image, essentially *as*
> the operating system, introducing a new Java concept ("Isolates") to
> serve the rule of OS processes.
>
> I hope you find this interesting...
>
> --

==
> ===
> Dave Detlefs
> http://www.sunlabs.com/people/detlefs/
> Sun Microsystems Laboratories
> david.detlefs at sun.com
> 1 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803-0902
(781)-442-