[gclist] Sharing GC resources between applications

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Mar 23 13:53:59 PST 2005

Even in the absence of native code, my impression is that at least
current
VMs don't try very hard to preserve liveness in the presence of
misbehaving code, whereas operating systems usually do.
And it seems significantly harder to do this at the VM level.
A quick glance at some a bit of the work on isolates didn't make it
clear to me whether there was an intent to address this.

As a simple example, to bring this back closer to our topic,
are isolates required to have separate finalizer threads?
If you want to minimize overhead, the answer would probably be no.
If you want fault isolation, the answer needs to be yes.

Hans