[LispM] First contact

Paolo Amoroso amoroso@mclink.it
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:44:17 +0100

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 02:09:36 +0100, Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org>
wrote:

> I suggest we shortly present ourselves a bit,

I am a computer science student at the University of Milano, Italy. The
Lisp-related projects I am involved with are the EncyCMUCLopedia (yes,
there will be a new version :) and ILISP, of which I am "maintainer
apprentice".

> and explain our experience with Lisp Machines:
> ho are we? what Lisp Machines do we have or did we use?
> What are we doing with them? What do we love or hate about them?

Quite simple: I have never directly used, seen, heard or touched a Lisp
Machine. My "experience"--or lack of it--is limited to reading about them
and occasionally seeing pictures and screen shots.

I am currently interested in Lisp Machines as a source of ideas and
inspiration on the use of Lisp technologies. In the future, possibly a bit
distant, I hope to be able to buy OpenGenera and an Alpha workstation for
running it.

> 2) would any of you have some extra Chine Nual or other books on
> LISP machines of old?

There is a book that is included in the lists of references of virtually
all papers related to Lisp Machines:

  "Interactive Programming Environments"
  D.R. Barstow, H.E. Shrobe, E. Sandewall
  McGraw-Hill, 1984
  ISBN 0-07-003885-6
  610 pages

The book collects 28 research papers. Several papers deal with Lisp
Machines and environments, others with Smalltalk, and a bunch with
environments for other languages such as Pascal and Ada. If there is enough
interest I can post the table of contents here.

I ordered my copy (12$ + 5$ international surface shipping) last October
from www.abebooks.com, and finally received it a few days ago. When I
placed my order, there were a dozen copies of the book available with
prices ranging from about 9$ to 23$.

Paolo