[LispM] Xerox 1186 "D-Machine"

losthalo@nerg.net losthalo@nerg.net
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:17:30 -0500

I'm trying to find more information and/or sources for spare parts in order to
resurrect a Xerox "AI workstation", also called a Daybreak or 1186.  The
machine was unfortunately not in working order when I received it, and does not
have a keyboard, though it does have all other appropriate hardware (5.25"
floppy drive, optical mouse, 19" monochrome monitor, and the tower).  It passes
the Preboot Diagnostics, but after that does not give me a clear screen or info
on the monitor, rather I get a white field with horizontal lines, so the monitor
isn't getting the appropriate output.  I think it is the display control board
or possibly the primary Mesa Processor board which is not working properly,
but any info or input would be helpful.  I also have some documentation which
came with the machine, including the original installation manual and a
User's Guide in a small binder.  The machine also has a PCE (PC emulation)
board, designed to emulate an MS-dos machine.

Bruce
"NOTHING IS TO BE PUT ON TOP OF MACHINES"
-sign on vending machines in Wal*Mart
 break room