[LispM] Reading/writing Genera Tapes

mac.wood@t-online.de mac.wood@t-online.de
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:41:15 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

Since my set of Genera 7.0 IFS tapes seem to degenerate I would like to
create tape images and burn them on a cd. I would like to know whether
there was someone in this list successful in producing tape images on a
Sun workstation, put that images back to another tape and could as well
read this 'new' tapes on an symbolics machine.
I was able in reading a tape with a Archive 60 qic-24 tape on a sun and
created a 20 mb tape image file. Afterwards I put that file via e.g
'cat tape > /dev/nrst5' back to tape (including rewding and
retensioning). But I'm not able to read that tape on my 3640. I tried
different devices with no success
Is there someone out there who already did that successfully ? Do I
perhabs to take care of the sun block size ? Is there perhabs a utility
to read genera tapes on sun machine ?

Cheers,

Marc