[LispM] Symbolics 3630 for sale in Minneapolis area

Timothy E. Nagle, Ph.D. tenagle at msn.com
Sat Aug 16 08:01:28 PDT 2014

I have a Symbolics 3630 plus the items listed below for sale (best offer by
September 30).

The condition is unknown.  Pickup is in the Minneapolis/St Paul area.

As I wrote to the list before the console doesn't display (as though it has
no power) .  The 3630 itself sounds like it works.  On power up, the run
light turns on, the fault light turns off, the disks spin up and the heads
sound like they are seeking for a few seconds.  Since the console doesn't
display I can't verify that it actually works.  I have the keyboard but no
mouse.

In addition to the 3630 I will also give you:

Symbolics Hi-Resolution Color Monitor UC6912.  (The big grey cube you always
see in the movies.)  Again, I don't know its condition.  It worked in the
shop, I brought it home and put it in the garage where it sat.  The 3630
DOES NOT have a color card.  The color monitor came from another prototype
system where it got very little use.

Apple Laser Writer

One (possibly 2) sets of Genera manuals.

Kee manuals

Cloe manuals

ETHER manuals.

(I don't know if the software is actually on the system perhaps I only have
the manuals)

One or 2 boxes of musty MCC reports (mainly CYC reports)

If you get the 3630 to work with the data intact there should be a tool for
John Sowa's Conceptual Structures.  It represents the structures in either a
LINEAR form or in a GRAPHICAL form where the concepts can be dragged and
dropped.  An example in the linear form is:

[MARY]<-(agnt)<-[EAT]->(obj)->[PIE]

Can be joined with:

[PERSON:*]<-(agnt)<-[ACT:*]->(manr)->[FAST]

Producing:

[MARY]<-(agnt)<- [EAT]->(manr)->[FAST]

                                            ->(obj)->[PIE]

Where MARY is a subtype of PERSON, EAT is a subtype of ACT, and in this
simple case PERSON, ACT,  PIE and FAST are just a subtype of TRUE

You can find other examples in Sowa's book or in the Conceptual Structures
Workshop Proceedings

I hope to hear from you soon,

My contact information is:

Tim Nagle

(952) 881-4648 (my home phone, your calls are welcome but most of your
questions will probably be answered with an "I don't know" - sorry)

tenagle at msn.com