[LispM] Greetings, all! - Cold Load Stream questions

Chris Stacy cstacy at csail.mit.edu
Mon Dec 1 04:39:39 PST 2014

> "Error: Unable to set calendar clock.
>

> TIME:SET-CALENDAR-CLOCK
>        Arg 0 (TIME:NEW-TIME) :  3026437200
> s-A,  <Abort>:  Exit process Initialize Genera"
>

> While in the Terminal window I launched it from, I get the error:
>

> "arithmeticexception; file stub/output10 line 211"

I don’t have an emulator or anything, but looking at the sources in Emacs,
that error is not thrown when your input time cannot be parsed.
It already parsed all your attempts at inputs, successfully.

There is what looks like a bug.

TIME:SET-CALENDAR-CLOCK is calling CLI:VLM-SET-CALENDAR-CLOCK-INTERNAL
and giving you that error if the function returns NIL.  But the implementation is stubbed out
and will always return NIL, because setting the host clock is not implemented.

Given that the only caller is SET-CALENDAR-CLOCK, I would fix it by changing S-C-C-I
to just lie and say everything is hunky dory; it should return T instead.

The return value from such clock setters, for example the Merlin (real XL1200) one,
is just T or NIL.  SET-CALENDAR-CLOCK doesn’t return a time or anything.
It’s just there to ensure that READ-CALENDAR-CLOCK will return something good.
In the case of the VLM, it will work (it will read the host’s clock).

If you want to boot and then fix it in the source, just use the debugger to return NIL
out of that SET-CALENDAR-CLOCK frame.

Where can I get a copy of this emulator so I can have fun too?