[LispM] Anyone mind a (potential) increase in list traffic?

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Thu Apr 20 03:50:58 PDT 2017

> On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:33 AM, Björn Victor <bjorn at victor.se> wrote:
>
> Cool! Could you describe it a little more, how far have you gotten?

It’s in C, and it’s a microcode-level emulator. It’s vastly superior to Meroko. In keeping with my tradition of stupid software naming, this one is LambdaDelta. It uses SDL1 or SDL2 for the console, Linux tuntap or BPF for ethernet, and has been built and tested on Linux and Mac OS X. It probably works on *BSD too but I have not tried. You’ll need a fast computer for right now to run it in real time. The slowest thing I’ve gotten a real-time run out of so far is a 2.3 GHz i7 (a Mac Mini). The Lambda console is 1024x800, so you’ll want a screen that can fit that plus the window decorations.

No attempt was made to emulate the Lambda’s optional Unix processor, but the two-seat “2x2” configuration is supported. So far, nothing has been able to run the 2x2 in real time, but we haven’t done any optimization toward it. (There’s still some low-level hardware timing issues to work out first)

> Have you got some reasonably recent LMI system to run on it too?

Nobody has found any actual distribution tapes yet. We’re hoping releasing the emulator causes one to turn up.

In the meantime, I have some bits from which a distribution might be made, but since they aren’t my bits I can’t distribute them. They’re in a state between two releases, so I basically have to finish what they had going to make a new release from it. I think I have the necessary release engineering bits, but I’m not sure.