[LispM] What does a valid internet address look like?

Steven Nunez steven.nunez at illation.com.hk
Sat Aug 5 01:58:48 PDT 2017

Gents,

That might look like a simple question, however I have been unable to find a
single example in the documentation, nor searching. My reason for asking is
that I can't seem to get any internet hostnames to resolve. I've been all
through the section entitled How Genera uses Internet Domain Names, in Site
Operations, but still no joy. Starting from the top:

The site definition contains current root servers, plus those of the local
ISP and google DNS servers:

NAMESPACE SINGAPORE

INTERNET-DOMAIN-NAME inference.sg

DESCRIPTOR-FILE
DISKSTATION:/volume1/Symbolics/sys.sct/site/singapore-namespace.text

SEARCH-RULES SINGAPORE

PRIMARY-NAME-SERVER CBD

SITE SINGAPORE

STANDALONE YES

QUERY-ROOT-DOMAIN-SERVERS-RECURSIVELY Yes

ROOT-DOMAIN-SERVER-ADDRESS INTERNET 8.8.8.8

ROOT-DOMAIN-SERVER-ADDRESS INTERNET 202.156.1.68

ROOT-DOMAIN-SERVER-ADDRESS INTERNET 192.41.0.4

ROOT-DOMAIN-SERVER-ADDRESS INTERNET 192.228.79.201

SECURE-SUBNETS INTERNET 192.168.0.0

TIMEZONE +0800

HOST-FOR-BUG-REPORTS CBD

SITE-DIRECTORY DISKSTATION:/volume1/Symbolics/sys.sct/site/

LOCAL-NAMESPACE SINGAPORE

PRETTY-NAME Singapore

I can ping a local host that exists in the namespace by name:

Command: (tcp:send-icmp-echo "diskstation")

And I can ping the google name server by IP address:

Command: (tcp:send-icmp-echo "internet|8.8.8.8")

However anything that needs to parse an Internet domain name fails:

Command: (tcp:send-icmp-echo "diskstation.inference.sg")

Error: Invalid internet address [diskstation.inference.sg].

Including pinging google, which works fine from the Genera host Unix
machine:

Command: (tcp:send-icmp-echo "internet|www.google.com")

Error: Invalid internet address [www.google.com].

Followed by the location of the error in tcp:parse-internet-address. Just to
check:

(tcp:parse-internet-address www.google.com <http://www.google.com> )

Gives the same error. Looking through the debugger (calling #'parse-integer)
and the code, it looks a lot like this function is only intended to parse
numerical IP addresses, and not hostnames, but my reading of the
documentation, perhaps with 2017 assumptions, is that it is supposed to be
providing DNS hostname  to IP mapping.

Any ideas? Has anyone got a working example of pinging an internet host?

Cheers,

*	Steve