goals

Marcus G. Daniels marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu
22 Apr 1997 23:51:14 -0700

MD>  Is the important thing to be able to use Lisp for ANY purpose?  If
MD> so, what kind of pain is total purity worth?

RC> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I don't think anyone says
RC> everything has to be written in lisp.  The right tool for the
RC> right job and all that.

It's just that one of the stated advantages I've heard for the LispMs
was, that in the good old days, there wasn't all this Unixish
complexity and redundancy with obscure options, funny file formats,
etc.  So the question is whether people are interested in this as art,
or on the other hand, as something, anything better than what is
available today.  Personally, I'm somewhere in between.