thinking about virtual machines

P. Srinivas srini@cs.usask.ca
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 11:32:05 -0600

>P. Srinivas,
>Could you get references to these papers for us. Also how does one best
>contact Per Bothner @ Cygnus to discuss the Scheme implementation on Java?

  Here is the reference:

	AI memo 1576, date unknown, 9 pages, available online as
        ai-publications/1500-1999/AIM-1576.ps.Z

	    Supporting dynamic languages on the Java virtual machine

	By Olin Shivers

	In this note, I propose two extensions to the Java virtual machine
        (or VM) to allow dynamic languages such as Dylan, Scheme and
        Smalltalk to be efficiently implemented on the VM. These
        extensions do not affect the performance of pure Java programs on
        the machine. The first extension allows for efficient encoding
        of dynamic data; the second allows for efficient encoding of
        language-specific computational elements.

                 representations, microcode, extensible architecture,
                 Dylan, Scheme, Smalltalk

    Here is the ftp address:

       ftp://publications.ai.mit.edu/ai-publications/1500-1999/AIM-1576.ps.Z

    In case anybody has trouble downloading, I can putup my copy for you.

	As for contacting Per Bothner @ Cygnus, we can probably
	send him a e-mail describing our effort and ask for his comments,
	specifically in the light of his experience in Scheme in JAVA
	implementations. I do not know how much interested he is in our
        effort. But he probably can send his views.

	srini