thinking about virtual machines

Fare Rideau rideau@ens.fr
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:07:37 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Michael,

>> For instance, I'd like to hear why the LISP core language
>> isn't enough of a VM to you, etc.
>
> We need a more machine centric VM which is easy to translate into native
> binary on disparate machines.

That I'm not convinced of at all.
Centric to what machine?
For instance what about clusters of MISC computers?
They'd overpower any stupid CISC/RISC bloatcessor for epsilon of the price.
but if they have to emulate a CISC/RISC bloatcessor, they will suck.
Have you really studied the cost of the various compiler passes,
and wouldn't keeping things high-level (including the generic
high-level code analyses) keep things much more portable and efficient?
[Again, using FAT precompiled code for the 2% critical routines].
What about restrict portability to stubborn von Neuman style machines?
The von Neuman model is clearly showing its limits performance/cost-wise!

>>> Second, we must start with the Java VM standard and extend (not alter) it
>> Foo!
>
> Yes, well I interpret Foo! as a No vote to include the Java VM.
>
> [...]
>
> I can accept No as an answer. It sure beats maybe. How may others feel this
> way. Should we bark up another tree?

Well, my point is more elaborate:
1) I'm not convinced at all that your JVM approach is good
 for a project like lispOS,
 but I quite prefer lispOS based on JVM than no lispOS,
 as I don't think it will lose more than an order of magnitude
 on speed*size performance.
2) I'm not convinced at all that relying on actual coding from
 the lispOS project is good for your JVM approach,
 because you can't expect commercial delays from an internet-wide
 free software project;
 I'm sure there can be a fruitful exchange of ideas, though.
3) I'm convinced that both lispOS and your extended JVM ideas are worth,
 but also that their goals are quite distinct.

>> PS: it's Wrong(tm) to entirely quote the message you answer to
>> at the end of yours.
Yes it is.

== Fare' -- rideau@ens.fr -- Franc,ois-Rene' Rideau -- DDa(.ng-Vu~ Ba^n ==
                TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System